Checklist for AVFP 5 Production

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM
Edited Sep 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Checklist for AVFP 5.0 Production release

Fix SMTP CDO e-mail example.  Test GoDaddy SMTP server.

Test free SQL database at GoDaddy.  Issue is impersonation in web.config (or is it?). May work?

Fix, test HTTP file upload at GoDaddy.  Issue should just be changing the file path in prg..

Fix, test Async Background thread processing at GoDaddy.  May work if file paths adjusted.

Big one: Themes(skins)/Foxpress/prg plugins

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2010 at 12:41 PM
Edited Sep 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Update:
Free SQL Server db now working at GoDaddy with AVFP
HTTP upload now working at GoDaddy with AVFP (http://thetechconsult.com/test/default.aspx)
SMTP e-mail w/CDO now working at GoDaddy with AVFP (http://thetechconsult.com/test/default.aspx)
Background threads: WORKS! at GoDaddy
Free 10 MySQL dbs - still need to test
OWC Charts - probably not gonna work at GoDaddy shared hosting since it needs registration/setup
PDF VFP Reporting - probably not gonna work at GoDaddy shared hosting since it needs registration/setup

People this is a great web development tool, the equal or better than PHP, especially on Windows! Once a decent CMS with vfp plugins and themes (foxpress) is ready, this is gonna be something...

Apr 25, 2012 at 7:28 PM

This is a really great product.  Thanks to all who worked so hard on it over the years.

Since it is now 2012, I was wondering if a solution has been found to allow PDF VFP reporting on a Godaddy server?

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2012 at 8:50 PM

No, anything that requires COM registration isn't allowed at GoDaddy.  Maybe some of the other cheap hosts will allow it.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Thanks Claude

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.  So how would you allow a user to print a formatted report from a GoDaddy hosted site?  It looks like I may need to seriously consider setting up my own box to host apps if there is no convenient way to print from GoDaddy.  5 MB DSL upload speeds might be a factor if I did that, though.

I appreciate your patience with a newbie to ActiveVFP.

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Well if you look at the Demo site (which is hosted at GoDaddy) you'll notice that the fully working PDF example has a note that says EXTERNAL meaning that particular example is being run at a different site.  The external IP for the PDF example points to the IP for the IIS web server on my internal network.  So most of the ActiveVFP demo is at GoDaddy with the exceptions of PDF printing and Graphs.  And the reason is that those 2 examples require COM registration which GoDaddy doesn't support.

Like I said before, maybe Discount ASP.NET, WinHost, Arvixe, etc. actually do support COM registration.  If that's the case then you can use them to host your application.  The hosting fee is still about $5 a month for them, just like GoDaddy...