how to get started

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 2, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Hi,

I downloaded ActiveVFP5, the documentation and do have full IIS access on one of my www servers.
However I cannot find a step by step guide how to get started. How do I install Active VFP? I have the two ZIP-files, but then? How do I create a webpage with VFP?
The documentation is probably fine, once you understand the whole circus, but doesn't actually help me to get started.

My project has to use a few forms with data selections presented from and new data written to a MySQL 5.1 database. My webserver can get access to the database.
I do already have working forms in VFP (v9SP2), but don't see how they can be shown as a webpage using Active VFP.

What is the magic? I'm looking forward to learn more about Active VFP!

Regards, Gerrit

Coordinator
Nov 2, 2010 at 10:06 PM
Edited Nov 2, 2010 at 10:13 PM

1.) Determine if you're using asp.net 2.0(probably) or asp.net 1.1(maybe).

2.) pick the appropriate version of the zip file

3.) follow the directions in the readme file (basically create a virtual directory and copy the zip file to the base directory)

4.) run the demo application (it should run with no further effort) and examine the main.prg

5.) modify the main.prg where it does the data access.  For MySQL at GoDaddy (http://thetechconsult.com/test/default.aspx?action=mysqllist) I have:

CASE oProp.Action=='mysqllist'
        LOCAL lcLast
	oSQL = CREATEOBJECT("AVFPsql")
	lcLast=NVL(oRequest.Form("lastname"),"")
	oSQL.LogIn(['Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver}; Server=thetechconsult.db.6054633.hostedresource.com; Database=myDB; Uid=myuid; Pwd=mypwd;'])
	oSQL.cSQLCursor = "tCursor"
	oSQL.Execute([SELECT option_id as First,option_name as Last,option_value as City  ]+;
              [ FROM wp_options ]+;
              [ WHERE option_name like '] +lcLast +[%' order by option_id] )
	lcHTMLfile = 'mysqllist.htm'
	lcHTMLout= FILETOSTR(oProp.HtmlPath+lcHTMLfile)
	lcHTMLout= oHTML.htmlTable('authors',lcHTMLout,10,10,'#E5E5E5',.F.;
		,VAL(oRequest.querystring("page")),oRequest.querystring("nav"))
	lcHTMLout= oHTML.mergetext(lcHTMLout)

6.) you can start by modifying sqllist.htm. copy or rename that to mysqllist.htm. rename all the fields to match fields in your cursor.

7.) test

8.) You can't automatically convert vfp forms. You have to use html.