GoDaddy HTML editor

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2011 at 10:07 AM

When I tried using GoDaddy's HTML editor to edit some avfp html templates, it kinda messed them up.  I'd like to know if anyone is using it successfully to modify the look and feel of your web app?  Or do you do all editing off-line and just upload it?

One solution, if you're willing to use the regular text editor they have, is to rename all template extensions to something else.  Like rename default.htm to default.htx.  Then it won't automatically call the GoDaddy HTML editor when you edit it.  The template naming would also have to change in main.prg for this to work seamlessly..

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:16 AM
Edited Feb 20, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Claude,

My preference style of editing may be different from others.  I'm making programs for my own productivity, and not for other clients.  I have never tried GoDaddy's interface, but I'm sure it can't be as useful as the MS Expression Web on my desktop.

The mission is to load useful things to my market research and community website http://raround.com

So that work entails loading lots of static pages like news articles, interviews, and index pages
to the various pages.   I'm now using my desktop VFP9 to do this work.   So a lot of the stuff is repetitive.   One interview has the same format as another, so it allows me to automate a lot of the tedious work and bypass coding in an HTML program.

Where I'm excited to use ActiveVFP is to offer lots of surveys on line.   Another opportunity is to gather input from members of my community using ActiveVFP.   But much of the heavy lifting will not be done in ActiveVFP but using my desktop VFP and then loading that up to ActiveVFP on GoDaddy where my website lives.

My plan of attack for creating AVFP surveys is as follows:

1. Study your AVP examples intensively.   Here's where playing with your HTML templates in MS Expression Web comes in handy.

2. Create VFP methods that TEXTMERGE lightly marked up plain text (the survey) with HTML code to create a HTML template for each unique survey.

3. Figure out how to modify AVFP's main.prg so I can funnel any number of survey/templates through one application instance.

4. Create a DBF table for each unique survey and load them to the application.

It's gonna be fun. . . 

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2011 at 1:55 AM

That's actually my preference right now too - use MS Expression on the desktop and download/upload to make changes.   Once FoxPress is in place, it'll be more like WordPress where the look and feel is more theme and plugin driven.

Your plan of attack sounds good.