Hosting

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 15, 2011 at 2:55 PM

can the following be used for ActiveVFP?

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/web-hosting.aspx?isc=IAPtno3&ci=9009

Ultimate option

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2011 at 4:13 PM

You need to ask GoDaddy if the 'Ultimate Option' supports Full-Trust.  if it does then you're in business

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Got this reply from them:

Thank you for contacting online support.

ASP.NET1.1 is the only option that supports full trust.

ASP.NET 1.1
If yоu are using ΑSP.ΝET 1.1 on уоur Wіndows shared hosting account, you have "full trust" on the server.
ASP.NET 2.0/3.0/3.5
If the сustomer iѕ using .ΝET runtimе еnvіronment 2.0, they have 'medium trust' on the server.

Trust level refers to permissions set in the Web.config file that dictate what operations can and cannot be performed by Web applications. Our ASP.NET 3.5 and 4.0 shared hosting servers use the default Medium trust level with the addition of OleDbPermission, OdbcPermission, and a less-restrictive WebPermission.

Applications operating under a Medium trust level have no registry access, no access to the Windows event log, and cannot use ReflectionPermission (but can use Reflection). Such applications can communicate only with a defined range of network addresses and file system access is limited to the application's virtual directory hierarchy.

Using a Medium trust level prevents applications from accessing shared system resources and eliminates the potential for application interference. Adding OleDbPermission and OdbcPermission allows applications to use those data providers to access databases. WebPermission is modified to allow outbound http and https traffic.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.
Sincerely,
Ed L.
Customer Care

Can we use 1.1 without any issue ?

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Absolutely!  Many are doing it already including myself (the demo is also running at GoDaddy under 1.1)

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Can I ask is that the shared hosting plan? (At £9.35 GBP P/M ?)

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Yes - you get the lowest shared hosting rates.  And actually for the domain I'm using for the demo,  I managed to pay ONLY for the domain and no monthly hosting.  You can do that too but most people will get the GoDaddy ads at the top.  I don't know why I lucked out in NOT getting ads...

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for the answers!

And finally...

I take it the difference between medium and full trust is sufficient to stop ActiveVFP working? I'm just wondering if at some point they withdraw support for 1.1 for example, I would be stuck without a host!

Thanks

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Not likely IMO.  I'm assuming the 1.1 requirement is just a GoDaddy thing required for Full-Trust.  Full-Trust itself (which is the AVFP requirement) is what most Developers prefer, even ASP.NET developers.  So I think GoDaddy will offer a Full-Trust option in some form for always. 

And most other hosts also offer a cheap Full-Trust shared hosting option because it is a competitive advantage feature.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Many thanks for that.

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Did you actually get the 4GH hosting??  I'm really curious if AVFP will work on it.  It seems like it should given from what they said but I need some sort of confirmation..

4GH hosting is actually grid or cloud hosting...

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Hi,

No, at this stage these are all enquiries, as I'm looking to carry out a trial and develop an app before deploying. At this stage my XP Pro IIS is fine foe the job. Obviously I wanted to factor in costing etc so was investigating the options.

The comparison grid looks great too.

Next big thing I think would be the UI improvements I see you have mentioned elsewhere. Was it wordpress? At the minute I have a CSS but it has been messy to get working with some pages where I use tables, and controls.

Excellent work !

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:27 PM

WebHosting Peru, company that provides you a hosting services such as web hosting, hosting peru with powerful and stable servers.

We are known for giving our customers a different service because when you become our customer, we offer assistance through our skype, e-mail or phone. We have plans of hosting according your needs.

If you want more information about us, visit our web site www.web-hostingperu.com or send a e-mail ventas@web-hostingperu.com