GoDaddy Setup Problem Solved

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 17, 2011 at 7:10 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM

I have an ASP 1.1 site on GoDaddy.com.

I created a virtual directory on my domain under the root called "avp"

When I type  http://mydomain/avp/default.aspx  I get a generic GoDaddy error page.

Is there something simple I'm doing wrong?

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:56 PM

What you typed contained "asp" instead of "avp". Check if that could be the error.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Sorry.  That was a typo.  Should be avp.   Thanks

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM

looks right.  did you choose ASP.NET 1.1 in the IIS hosting options panel?? i think it defaults to 2.0

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:05 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2011 at 3:38 AM

Thanks, Claude.   It was set to ASP.Net 1.1 already.

Anyway, I just got it to work.

Apparently you need to do some extra IIS settings.

Previously I had check marked only "Anonymous Access"

But just now I check marked the "Directory Browsing" and "Set Application Root" in IIS and I guess that was the trick. 

Seems that some of these IIS setting are implemented via a batch process -- not real-time.   After I made the new settings, I saw a "Pending Setup" comment next to my virtual directory.   In 10 minutes that comment changed to "Setup", the normal indicator.

Hopefully this is a lesson for future GoDaddy AVPers to help get them up and running.

BTW, I've found the customer support from GoDaddy quite good.   So this is another reason to choose this path to AVP. . .

Dan Baker

Coordinator
Feb 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM
Edited Feb 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Thanks - I guess there are a few steps that I didn't document.  Here are some screen shots I put together called the GoDaddy 10 step:

*GoDaddy Setup Screenshots*

1.) GoDaddy1 2.) GoDaddy2 3.) GoDaddy3 4.) GoDaddy4 5.) GoDaddy5 6.) GoDaddy6 7.) GoDaddy7 8.) GoDaddy8 9.) GoDaddy9 10.) GoDaddy10

Editor
Mar 15, 2011 at 3:47 AM

Hi Claude,

I just wanted to let yourself and danbaker know that I have just followed the "GoDaddy Setup Problem Solved" discussions and have successfully set up the ActiveVP5 demo with a new domain that I purchased with www.godaddy.co.uk.

I had previously managed to set the demo up locally on my development (Vista) laptop and a virtual server (Windows Server 2003, IIS 6) with no problems but my first attempt in January with the GoDaddy hosting package failed for some reason i.e. I also got the generic GoDaddy error page. I'm not sure what I did wrong?

I specifically found the "GoDaddy Setup Screenshots" a great help.

I'm now looking forward to digging into ActiveVFP further.

Fantastic stuff!!! A Big thanks to you both!!!

Regards,

Simon (from the UK)