Using ActiveVFP onsite [Securely]

Topics: Developer Forum
Dec 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Hello All,

As the title suggest, I was wondering if AVfp could be deployed on a clients site, securely. For example, some clients will only want this hosting internally, not elsewhere (like GoDaddy)

As all the code is visible, is there any way to do this without exposing the code to the risk of being copied? I know there could be agreements, NDA etc but for the sake of the untrusting, can it be deployed safely?

Thanks! (Can't see this question being asked anywhere before..)

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can distribute only the FXP (compiled codes) instead of both PRG and FXP.

Coordinator
Dec 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM
Edited Dec 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM

yes you could distribute your main code in compiled fxps that are distributed.  Now this probably won't work with main.prg since main.prg is being ExecScript-ed and I don't think ExecScript will fire a .fxp (?). (Note: for main.prg you can change it to a DO instead of ExecScript if you're willing to dig into the source code a little bit.)

So create a separate class or library that is called from main.prg or your script files, compile it, and just distribute the fxps from that.

The downside is that if you need to change FXPs, you'll have to either re-cycle the App Pool or IIS to replace the FXPs since they'll be cached by IIS.