Server timeout

Topics: Developer Forum
Developer
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM
How do I increase the server timeout? A couple of reports require very heavy data processing and it's timing out.
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Try:
oSession.timeout(14400) in the init

There may be a setting in web.config too.

Also to be considered is running as a background thread.
Developer
Aug 21, 2013 at 11:36 PM
‘........Also to be considered is running as a background thread........’

Yet more goodies to be uncovered.

And thanks.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Also to be considered is running as a background thread.
Interesting timing because I've just finished watching an excellent presentation made last night and think it relates to this posting.

Please see the following link.
Video Presentation

Related White Paper and source code can be downloaded here

Or perhaps I've got the wrong end of the stick here Claude?
Even if I have, I'd still recommend all to watch this video anyway because of it's relevance to AVFP in general.
Developer
Aug 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM
My problem is the response timing out.

However, multithreading may be the better solution. My problem reports are with a blank template with nothing but 8px by 8px triple layered, image objects, placed side by side. Each image object is for showing a bmp file ( that does not exist at design time). During report runtime,, each of these image object reads the data from the server and creates it's own bmp file, dynamically, based on data found. This way, each img itself controls it's content(i.e. colored bmp picture ), size and transparency. I have no other external pre/post code. Just a dummy table in backround for report to loop.

Naturally with serial processing, it requires a large processing time in creating the report since each bmp is created pixel by pixle.

Im my estimate, the speed gain would be about 18,000 per cent if MT allows that manyn concurrent threads, which I doubt, but may be worth looking into. It is just an ole session object, so very similar to what I've done already in avfp.
Developer
Aug 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
hi Simon,
that was a good link. thx fr sharing.