new to avfp

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 3, 2015 at 12:19 AM
im a visual foxpro programmer but i have a problem using avfp converting my desktop app to the web, and i really dont know where to start, the installation have no problem but i don't know how to start with the object like textbox, combobox etc. returning its value. I don't have knowledge in asp. and I really want to learn this avfp. if someone can help me the basics how to return the textbox values even in messagebox() is a really great help. I purchased westwind connection and I really like their video tutorial because its well explained, but i have a problem running it on my virtual private server (godaddy). if someone can help will really be appreciated. Thanks and more power.
Feb 3, 2015 at 11:01 AM
All your desktop form object (such as textbox, combobox, button, etc..), in AVFP are HTML object. If you have a form with one button and one textbox, in AVFP you need a code like this:
<input type="text" name="txtobj" />
<input type="button" name"btobj" />
If you need to send data, you need to use a form request, like this:
<form name="f1" method="post" action="yourpage"+oProp.Ext>
    <input type="text" name="txtobj" value="" />
    <input type="submit" name"btobj" value="Send" />
</form>
Note that the button changes the type, with "submit" can be send data. For getting the data, in "yourpage.avfp" you need to use oRequest.Form("txtobj") to get the value of textbox.

If you read the "Documentation" and see the "Examples", you'll find all that you need.
Coordinator
Feb 3, 2015 at 7:02 PM
Shef, programming a web app if fundamentally very different from programming a desktop app. All the knowledge you have right now about creating UI/UX en VFP worth exactly NOTHING to build a web app. You need to start by grasping a basic knowledge of the technologies involved in web programming:

1) HTML
2) CSS
3) JavaScript
4) JSON
5) Ajax
6) REST services

All of this will be required no matter what language you use for the server side code (PHP, AVFP, .NET, Python, etc). Only after you have a basic understanding of how a web page works and the interaction between the browser (browser side code) and the web server (server side code), you could understand the role AVFP plays on allowing you to use VFP code to feed your web app.

Victor Espina
Feb 3, 2015 at 11:17 PM
Thank you so much guys. :) God Bless!
Feb 4, 2015 at 2:36 PM
Hi Victor,

I found Active VFP a few days ago, i started to

Escribe texto o la dirección de un sitio web, o bien, traduce un documento.

Traducir del: Español

analyze the code an try to understand the way it works.
I wonder if I could count on your help when I need it, and if you understand the Spanish language would be great.
I would be more confidence.

thanks in advance

Carla Ortiz

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM
Sure Carla. Just pust your questions over here (try to put them in spanish and english) and we would try to guide you as much as we can.

Claro Carla. Solo pon tus preguntas aqui (intenta ponerlas siempre en español e ingles) y con gusto trataremos de ayudarte lo mas que podamos.

Saludos

Victor Espina
Feb 7, 2015 at 12:49 AM
Thank so much Victor, thank god for the Fox Community.

Carla
"Para los Amantes del Zorrito"