How to embed existing Fox Pro DeskTop Application to ActiveVFP

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jul 27, 2015 at 10:12 PM
Hello,

I have a foxpro application that I would like to take online. It clearly appears to me that ActiveVFP can help. I need a little guidance how can I run/embed/import my application in activeVFP. The information I have explored on your website so far tell me a lot about ActiveVFP but I need to connect my application first.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2015 at 10:45 PM
What you must understand is that AVFP was not created as a migration tool to convert VFP desktop apps to a web-based app. The fact that ActiveVFP allows to run native VFP code server-side, makes really easy to take all your business code and reports, and reuse them in your web app requiring minimum or none modifications.

That said, the amount of non-visual code you can reuse with ActiveVFP will largely vary depending on how your current app is coded. People that used n-tiers approaches and have a decent separation between UI and biz rules, are in a far better position to reuse big parts of their desktop apps in a web app using ActiveVFP. People that did little or none separation between UI and biz code, will likely facing a major rewriting even using ActiveVFP.

In BOTH cases you will have to recode your whole UI, using HTML/CSS/JS.

Victor Espina
Dec 11, 2015 at 10:13 AM
Qamar24 check out foxincloud.com
Developer
Dec 18, 2015 at 1:34 PM
Note that the free version of foxincloud has some limitations, the most serious has to do with the number of concurrent sessions allowed for application , besides the source code of the conversion will not be available to you, I recommend you working with AVFP, is more effort but will have control of your application and you will have a multithreaded service with the possibility of thousands of concurrent calls for extreme demands .