integration with node.js / Electron for making cross-platform applications?

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 16, 2016 at 3:38 AM
Hello!

I've been keeping track of your amazing project, and finally have the opportunity window for start the migration of our Fox2.6 codebase to a more modern and cross-platform application.

We have 'precious' code still in FP and want to keep using it, hence the interest in ActiveVFP. But I was wondering if any integration has ever been tested with node.js technology. I am particularly interested in the Electron project, which is a framework to build desktop applications using web technologies, particularly node.js. My plan would be to work on the app UI through this framework, but still using activevfp for accesing our DBFs and also to keep using our very nice libraries in FP.

Have you ever heard/seen/tried something like this? If you have considered other ways to generate desktop applications with web code and ActiveVFP, what have you done?

Thanks in advance for reading this. Keep up the good code!
Coordinator
May 19, 2016 at 5:00 PM
Interesting stuff indeed. I looked at some of the videos and they really have a nice concept for creating applications for desktop. Keep in mind though that even that your front-end is cross platform, aVFP still needs to be on a Windows machine with IIS on it. If time permits, I will probably go and try this and do simple applications with aVFP integration.

Here's the YT video I watched btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbSvc8_BHaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs3Oc4weZbw

Thanks for the post.
Coordinator
May 23, 2016 at 3:30 PM
Interesting indeed.
Jun 16, 2016 at 12:17 PM
I too am interested in Electron. I've been following that project for some time now and also continue developing in VFP. It's a damn shame MS put VFP to bed. I think that decision was all about greed; the VFP model just wasn't making enough money for them. Foxpro is one of the best integrated database languages ever conceived. I have an app that needs brought into the web realm very soon and am looking for help. Contact me if interested in working together to integrate VFP & Electron.