Respond To Fat Client

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 11, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Hello Claude , Hello Everyone

Bear with me for am not very good in some of technical terminologies. My Question is.

Is there a way (a ready made class ) in activevfp which could respond to a fat client (Desktop App). Say for example a form in a desktop App. could do some data entries and be saved in the server (of course via internet)  or send some query and get some reply by populating a grid or print a report etc. If there is, I will be very grateful if i can get some clues on server side setup approach and client side setup approach as well.

Thank you in advance

Alwy Ali

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Sounds like a web service to me.  Check out the following for an example:

http://activevfp.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=33523

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Hello Claude, Again.

Thank You so very much. I have downloaded all there was. Let me try it out and i would certainly give you feedback. Again Thank you Sir.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hello Claude

As promised for a feedback. I Have downloaded the ms.net 2 (it's big 357 mb (and am using dial up)) and installed it in my machine which uses windows vista business. I created a simple mtdll app. then i tried this command as you suggested.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\v2.0\Bin\tlbimp.exe C:\wstest3\mytest.dll /out:C:\wstest3\bin\mytest_proxy.dll /namespace:mytest

The Bin folder was created and the new dll inside bin was also created. But it did not create the .asmx file or any other files as shown in your example zipped file of wstest. May be a missing  a point or somthing. I will appriciate if you assist me on this.

May be am wrong but i find this approach fascinating, because there are too many advantages. for one this approach will make a real vfp server, secondly this approach will enable application to work on a single machine, LAN (even On Peer To Peer)  and on the internet without any extra codeing.

Thank you in Advance

Alwy Ali

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, that's just an alpha version.  It will work with the supplied example asmx (with the supplied vfp mtdll) but it won't generate a custom asmx for you.  It is meant as a working example demo of how to do it.  To get your own code running would require changing the supplied code to match yours.  If you got the example working it shouldn't be hard to figure out how to make changes to accomodate your own new code...

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Thanks Claude

Does This mean, we still have to use visual studio to generate .cs files so that they can be referenced in .asmx file as you have shown in the example ? or it's not necessary

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Yes since there is no auto-generation.  You might want to look at setting something up and sharing with others here..