Commercial Hosting

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 12, 2010 at 4:31 AM

Given the configuration necesary for activevfp how do we handle installation and configuration on servers where we don't have full control. Hosting packges like godaddy for instance

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2010 at 6:38 AM

"CO-location" is the way to go where you do have complete access to the server.  It's probably going to be harder to get a cheapy account and use ActiveVFP since those are usually set up for simple PHP or .NET applications with minimal configuration (however, I've tried to make that easy too with AVFP with the included installshield setup and PostSetup which can be re-used for your setup).  But really, if you have any internet connection other than dial-up, you can probably swing setting up IIS and ActiveVFP with it.  For example, I use my own cable internet account to host the AVFPdemo application.  This would probably work unless you have really heavy traffic.  At that point you'd go with the co-locate at an ISP.

Coordinator
Apr 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Edited May 16, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Actually GoDaddy looks pretty good for co-location at $29.99 mo. for their Virtual Dedicated Server hosting option: Go Daddy Virtual Dedicated Hosting.   By the looks of it, ActiveVFP should be able to work fine with the Windows/IIS option...

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM
Few questions ( I appreciate not all ActiveVFP related, but thought there may be good answers / experience out there!): Looked at this site; is there an easy configuration for this? Once setup, how do you maintain the data / site, is there a remote connection to this "dedicated server"? As this site uses calls to a MAIN.PRG file, is there an easy way to protect your work? I presume once it's on a dedicated server the end user couldnt access the site and code..? Thanks in advance
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I haven't tried the Godaddy Virtual Co-location myself.  It was the cost that caught my eye.  Usually it's about $100/mo for other hosting providers for co-location.