VISUAL FOXPRO WEB ONLY CROSSPLATEFORM

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Feb 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM
I have posted a discussion in VFPX about using VFP as a crossplateform dedicated WEB Engine.
Activevfp seems to target what I am talking about !

After looking around I realize that this project is 100% connected to Visual Foxpro future and VFP future as we know is over. So my point stays the same : "Why not focusing on using VFP as a web only crossplateform engine ?"
This means a "download" package ready to go with VFP runtime included with no need to rely on IIS, and also compiled to run on linux server (rpm).

Microsoft will probably be happy to propose a crossplateform web engine thru a product they stop !

Most of us are consultant programmers providing web solutions to small/medium customers, if you deal with big clients no need to search to much you'll find many huge solutions, but for small and/or medium businesses what do you really find easy to go for the web ?
Give me one product that can compete with FOXPRO ! One ! Foxpro is 100% adapted for the web as a standalone option, you get ALL you need to provide the perfect solution to any small / medium customers. Language with 20 years of history, Databases/Tables (limitations you don't care about), extremely fast data access, a reporting tool good enough to get PDF's and 100's of gui tools. Where can you find that in one package today ?
(Maybe getting Unicode should be added).

If a project with this goal can be approved I would love to be part of it.

JC
(Ps : I use today the solution offered by www.foxweb.com besides the fact that you pay, they also depend on VFP's future and windows server so you can't sell that to your customers anymore)
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2008 at 6:57 PM
Well the problem is that ActiveVFP does rely on IIS and various MS technologies - the philosophy is to use the easiest, fastest, and most efficient technologies to create the best VFP web applications. I think we'd lose that if AVFP went cross-platform.
EEVA VFP web server and dev environment (google it if interested) has it's own web server and therefore is not dependent on these MS technologies. Otherwise, some of the "for pay" VFP web products will have a CGI program that calls to VFP servers with open source web servers like Apache. CGI is a step-down in performance from ISAPI, the one that works with IIS...
PS: VFPx has stated that they will not host web vfp projects since they compete with commercial VFP products like Foxweb and West-Wind...

jcclerc wrote:
I have posted a discussion in VFPX about using VFP as a crossplateform dedicated WEB Engine.
Activevfp seems to target what I am talking about !

After looking around I realize that this project is 100% connected to Visual Foxpro future and VFP future as we know is over. So my point stays the same : "Why not focusing on using VFP as a web only crossplateform engine ?"
This means a "download" package ready to go with VFP runtime included with no need to rely on IIS, and also compiled to run on linux server (rpm).

Microsoft will probably be happy to propose a crossplateform web engine thru a product they stop !

Most of us are consultant programmers providing web solutions to small/medium customers, if you deal with big clients no need to search to much you'll find many huge solutions, but for small and/or medium businesses what do you really find easy to go for the web ?
Give me one product that can compete with FOXPRO ! One ! Foxpro is 100% adapted for the web as a standalone option, you get ALL you need to provide the perfect solution to any small / medium customers. Language with 20 years of history, Databases/Tables (limitations you don't care about), extremely fast data access, a reporting tool good enough to get PDF's and 100's of gui tools. Where can you find that in one package today ?
(Maybe getting Unicode should be added).

If a project with this goal can be approved I would love to be part of it.

JC
(Ps : I use today the solution offered by www.foxweb.com besides the fact that you pay, they also depend on VFP's future and windows server so you can't sell that to your customers anymore)

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:59 AM
Edited Feb 11, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Hello Claude,
I will try ActiveVFP to check if this is what I see.
Can VFPX be used for future updates of ActiveVFP ?
What can I do to be part of this project.
Bye
Coordinator
Feb 11, 2008 at 1:10 PM
VFPx is totally separate from ActiveVFP. ActiveVFP is entirely contained within it's own project - no need for an "umbrella group" like VFPx.
If you want to be part of the ActiveVFP project, take a look at the Issue Tracker to determine if there's an area you can help with. Otherwise, you can propose something new.