FoxPress - Call for Coders!

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 10:34 AM

"FoxPress" - Next version of ActiveVFP, a CMS/Blogging rip-off of WordPress to enable easy use of CSS styled themes and VFP plugins

If you check out WordPress, you'll get an idea of what we want to accomplish with FoxPress. The only difference is we want to implement the same thing using VFP instead of PHP.

Coders and enthusiasts wanted - apply to join the project.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I can devote at least 4 hours a week on this project just to let you know how I appreciate what you have done here.  Let me know what to do and keep me posted on details.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Fantastic and thank you!  I added you to the team as Developer.  4 hours a week is great and very generous of you. 

Ok, if you haven't already, download WordPress and get a feel for it especially the Administrator Dashboard.  We don't have to do everything it does, just the important ones like choosing the active theme and activating available foxpro plugins.  I think if we keep the goals simple that this is very doable. Take your time and have fun!

We have to decide how to make the generic web page parts of header, content, footer using vfp.  WordPress is doing everything in PHP and CSS.  Using AVFP 5, we have to decide if we'll use just prgs and css and HTML templates(or not).  Or any better idea you might have?

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Although not an expert,  I can programme at little with VFP and I would like to be a part of the team. I can devote an hour daily. (If you please!)

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2010 at 6:08 PM
Edited Sep 30, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Thanks!  I added you to the team.  You new team members will get more credit for the "FoxPress" release than me.  I'll provide high-level support and guidance where needed and occasionally coding but it's your (meaning new team members) project.

Check out WordPress on the web to get an idea of what we want to do with AVFP 5 using visual foxpro.

Here are some key links:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM
Edited Oct 6, 2010 at 8:57 PM

do you remember me at autoguiaes.com?, if you agree i would like to join as a Coder!

Coordinator
Oct 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Thanks! I added you to the team as Developer.  Please take a look at the WordPress links above and  offer your ideas/proposals on a Developer thread.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Hello Claude.

If there is any room Left, I would like to be of any help(part of the team). I believe Fox can Generate anything on the fly i.e at runtime be it css,script(any),pages etc. I have checked Wordpress links, and if i understood them correctly, with foxpro css can be part of, or a plugin where user can design there own stylesheets and themes, apart from what is available( am just thinking loud. I have nothing to show). I will really be grateful if you accept me. Given the roadmap I will deliver.    

Coordinator
Nov 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I added you as a Developer.  Any examples with WordPress style functionality would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Hello Claude

Am trying to Learn the way Wordpress implement exactly, so that i could relate and come up with something.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2010 at 7:05 PM
Edited Dec 3, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Cool!  My advice is just to create a web site with WordPress - it's extremely easy.  This will give you the experience you need to understand what we're trying to do.  Pick a WordPress "theme" you like and implement it (again, this is extremely easy in WordPress).  There are many free WordPress themes on the web.  And remember that Foxpro is probably more powerful than PHP on Windows so all of this should be very doable.

If you get past that point, think about how to implement themes in ActiveVFP.  Once we have the mechanism, we'll need a simple page to manage, select, add, delete themes.