data on the network

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM

we would like to develop application vm servers on a cloud, placing the dbases on a network server for all cloud vms to access. it seems that activevfp doesnt like any data path beyond the "c" drive. theres some chatter about how to make it happen but we havent been successful making it work. has anyone made this work??????

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Do you mean a network drive or another drive attached to the web server?  Another drive attached to the web server machine would be no different from c:.  A network drive would require impersonation, though,  The best way to do this is in the IIS Application Pool - set it up so that a user with rights to the network data is the impersonated user.  That should work.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Thanks, claudefox.  Your tip is very helpful.  I am insterested in storing the data on another server, hopefully running multiple web servers that share a central database. I can't see how to map a drive within the server security context, since it never runs a login script or anything like that, so I tried using a UNC name like \\server\share.  This works if I use impersonation as you suggest.  Performance is horrible, however - I need to resolve that next.  Suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again!