ActiveVFP(AVFP) 6.0 and 5.52 have been released!

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Jan 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Edited Jan 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

ActiveVFP(AVFP) 6.0 and 5.52 have been released on CodePlex at http://activevfp.codeplex.com
AVFP 6 features new community development from Victor Espina with RESTful API for FoxPro web services with extensionless URLs and, from Christian Ehlscheid and his CreateThreadObject, new multi-threaded background processing(6.0/5.52).  jQuery and jQuery Mobile examples are also included(6.0/5.52) as well as updates for VFP reports to PDF.

AVFP 6 includes a new MVC (Model-View-Controller) framework that lets the developer create a VFP Controller class in a simple prg and return .avfp HTML views, JSON, or other output, for the best of modern web programming.  Increased speed is realized since the VFP Controllers are automatically compiled only when a change is detected. (Or continue to use AVFP in the traditional PHP way by simply putting FoxPro code in HTML.) 

Faster than PHP on Windows, easier than C#, free and open source ActiveVFP continues to lead the way in FoxPro web development!

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Congrats on this release Claude.  Just got back from holiday and this is really a surprise.  I need to try this out later this week.  Any tips upgrading websites created in previous version specifically 5.52?

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I guess it depends on what features your app uses, but, if you just replace the activevfp.dll and PDFrun.exe (if you do PDF reporting) that would be a good starting point.  If you do the PDF printing you'd also need the gsdll32.dll (GhostScript dll) which is now included in the Reports directory.  For background threads(for long running jobs) you'd need vfp2c32.fll in the web root.  The DoCOunt.prg is the new example background job.  For the jQuery stuff, just copy over the scripts and supporting files.

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Edited Jan 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Thanks for the tip.  I have one project that I might convert to the new version.  It's a work in progress and you can check it out here.

You can sign in as Dr. Goldman.  Once the dashboard is displayed, you can click on the Room column to display some patient information.  Clicking charting will bring you to a different page.

Test website

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Wow - that's a nice site.

Do you mind if I share the URL for the test site at Foxite.com too??

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Thank you, as I've said it's a work in progress but I don't mind if you share this to Foxite.

Coordinator
Jan 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

By the way the design of the website is from a template purchased from themeforest called Developr.  This basically will saves me a lot of time designing the actual site and at the same time learn jquery techniques already given in the template itself.