Tools to migrate app. VFP environment for Web!

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 25, 2009 at 8:03 PM
Hello.

I'm barely aware of this tool ActiveVFP.

In our company we are looking for a tool that allows us to migrate the app. which are a VFP Web environment.

Could someone please ActiveVFP if you can not help with this, we need a tool that helps us in the shortest possible time and cost.

We've seen some projects eTecnologia, FoxWeb and VFP2IIS, which we liked most was the 1st because it has an ID and a compiler.

Thank you very much from Medellin-Colombia

Juan Carlos Garcia
Coordinator
Apr 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM
Juan, this tool will not take an existing VFP application and web enable it.  It will, however, allow you to re-use a lot of your vfp code in a real web app.   ActiveVFP is like FoxWeb in this regard.

If you want to take exactly what you already have and make it available on the web then my advice would be to use Microsoft's Remote Desktop Connection (RDP).  I have seen many use this successfully for existing GUI apps.
Apr 27, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Of course that Terminal Services is a good option for remote connections and is currently used with great success.

However, we need to migrate the app. a Web environment and that is why we have these tools evualando to see that we can serve more.

One question: From the viewpoint of architecture, learning curve and support, which could recommend a tool?. We liked eTecnologia, we saw little of ActiveVFP and FoxWeb we have a very important list of clients that is of utmost importance at this stage of our assessment, because it ensures that there is support and security to the future.
Coordinator
Apr 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM
Well, I created the tool to make the most out of Microsoft's latest technology for VFP and the web - vfp mtdlls.  This allows for true multi-threading instead of running 2-3 vfp EXEs simulating multi-threading.  Foxweb and West-Wind only simulate multi-threading using a few VFP exe servers.  So, as far as architecture, I can honestly say that ActiveVFP is using the best.

As far as learning curve, I've automated all of the tricky parts of using VFP mtdlls.  So, all a developer has to do is concentrate on the application.  If a developer knows VFP, I honestly don't think there's a easier tool for VFP web apps than ActiveVFP.

Since this is a free and Open Source tool (and has the advantages I outlined above), I anticipate it will always be popular and have a wide user base...
Apr 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM
Thank you for your explanation was very clear and we now have a clearer basis for defining a tool to select.

Juan Carlos Garcia