Accessing VFP database on the web

Topics: Developer Forum
Feb 18, 2015 at 11:40 PM
I have a desktop application that's several years old. It's in a Windows environment. I now want to allow multiple users around the country to share the data. I'm thinking the easiest approach would be to leave the application on the desktops, but put the databases on the web. How might I use AVFP to do this? (I'm new to AVFP.) How would this be done with minimal changes to my programs, yet keep the db access efficient? I'm guessing this is probably detailed somewhere on the AVFP site.
Also, I don't want the responsibilities of hosting the databases, myself, so they would have to live on a publicly available web host.
Thank you for your help.
Art Lieberman
Feb 19, 2015 at 6:13 AM
Well there is an example showing display of 'raw' tables on the demo (default) page.
A quick and easy option would be to create a few user-centric Views and call these from a simple html menu page.

hth - AndyD
Coordinator
Feb 19, 2015 at 5:24 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2015 at 5:26 PM
You should also be able to re-use VFP code in addition to VFP data. Your VFP application logic should be easily transferable to either avfp scripts (vfp in html files) or avfp controllers (centralized VFP prgs). Best bet to get started would be to look at the avfp demo and the code along with that.

The most popular web hosts for AVFP are GoDaddy and Arvixe. These are inexpensive shared web hosts (typically $5/mo. or less).
Feb 19, 2015 at 9:52 PM
The program consists of 39,000 lines of code, 170 screens, and 52 reports.
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:19 PM
Thats a big app. My suggestion would be to get very confortable first with all the Web technologies (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, REST, JSON, Ajax). Then, dedicate quite a time to master MVC approach on web apps, and some useful frameworks like jQuery, AngularJS, BackboneJS, ExtJS, Prototype. Then, decide either to use an existing MVC library or create you own framework using the best of what you had learned. Try to standardise all your views with a common paradigm and UI, and THEN you will have a better understanding of how to take your app to a Web App in a proper way.

Sound complicated, and it is. But is the only way IMHO.

Victor Espina
Feb 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM
that's true, is not so easy to convert all code to web, but at least you can use part of the code with activate vfp, I think it helps you so much.
I'm trying to pass a small application, I know almost nothing about web programming and it is hard to me, however I feel that if I work hard, i will got it.

I wish you luck ArtLieberman you will do it

Carla

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM
The program consists of 39,000 lines of code, 170 screens, and 52 reports.
Start simple with a Proof of Concept or prototype. Rarely does anyone with a Foxpro desktop application want to convert the entire legacy app over to the web or mobile. It would be a waste of time\effort\money and more than likely not take advantage of the medium.

If you start this way, building a simple web or mobile app from your VFP data\code, you can begin to see how it will work and maybe gain some confidence.

We, as consultants, can also help in the task should you need it.