Managing Files for Multiple Websites in Desktop AVFP

Topics: Developer Forum
Apr 19, 2015 at 3:35 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2015 at 3:39 PM
Hi Active Foxes,

I'm starting to create the code for my website, but I'm already feeling I've got a management problem on my hands. What's the best way to partition the code for different websites or applications?

Are you creating multiple instances of the AVFP application on the desktop? Can you even do that?

Or are you naming your AVFP pages and folders in such a way that you can easily figure out which pages go on which site?

Curious. Thanks.
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2015 at 4:02 PM
Just create a separate folder, application for each instance of activevfp which the default installation already does. Each one should automatically be separate unless you manually registered the activevfp.dll (in which case it's shared system wide) . If you use the default side by side activevfp dll then they are really running separately in their own folders.

You can install unlimited numbers of avfp on a computer.
Apr 19, 2015 at 4:54 PM

OK, thanks Claude. It really is very simple then.

I was thinking I needed to have all my AVFP files in the one virtual folder home. But I just made another folder as you suggested and it works just fine.

Much appreciate.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:04 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2015 at 4:34 AM
OK, I initially made the mistake of putting my new application AVFP instance as a folder within my current folder.

I found the correct way is to go into the IIS manager and make the following changes (in Windows 7). Note the AVFP documentation talks about this in the installation section. Here's a little more detail:

1. Type "iis" in the START Search box to launch IIS Manager.
  2. In the left side panel, drill down till you see the Default Website. Right click on that.
  3. Add an application and you will be asked what physical folder to use and the name of the alias.
  4. So the image above shows that I have two independent AVFP applications as follows:
virtual -- in my physical folder C:\activevfp
demo -- a second AVFP application in my physical folder C:_avfp_demo

A few of these idiosyncratic methods are ok. I thank the heavens I do not have to tamper with .NET where they wanted me to download Gigabytes of files and gosh-knows how many arcane tricks!