Basic Front End Development Question

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 2, 2015 at 3:51 AM
Hello - I'm new to the forum. ActiveVFP looks really awesome but I have a slightly unrelated question to ActiveVFP. This is more a "front end" question than back end server question. My question is what do you all use to develop your .avfp web pages? I've made some basic .avfp files and I find myself coding them in notepad. When programming in VFP (for the most part) I always use the project manager and develop forms "visually." I'm wondering what is the best way to develop the front end web pages because I don't think I can easily get that aesthetic look I want using notepad (at least not without a lot of effort). Do most of you design your .avfp web pages"visually" with something like dreamweaver or perhaps some other tool maybe freeware like Komodo or something else. I'm trying to find something that works well and will allow me to easily put code in the .avfp files <% code %> and still be able to visually develop and manage my web pages if that is possible.

Thanks for this community and for all your help.
Coordinator
Sep 3, 2015 at 2:20 AM
There are many IDEs out there for web deveolpment. Being an OSX guy, I have used Espresso, Coda, and some others. But an old web programmer once told me that the true web programmer uses only a text editor!! In time, I had come to agree with him. As today, I use only Sublime Text for all my JS/HTML/CSS coding. For a good free alternative, check Microsoft Code.

As for page design, I still use only Sublime Text and a try-error loop. Using a grid-system like Bootstrap helps a lot on the general layout of the site.

Victor Espina
Sep 3, 2015 at 6:53 AM
I use appeary.io

Sent from my iPad

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM
I use Bootstrap framework for GUI and Notepad ++ with a custom sintax (Visual FoxPro and HTML/JS/). When i need to see the result on real time, i use Firebug or rarely Microsoft Expression Web. When i'm on OSX platform, i use skEdit instead of Notepad ++.
Sep 3, 2015 at 8:46 PM
Very interesting. I came from a dBase to Clipper Summer 87 background so I know what it's like to code through a text editor. Then I went to FoxPro 2.6 and at first I hated the idea of using forms in VFP when I could just code it manually. Oh, how I got spoiled - it saves so much time to design forms visually. But, I'm not sure if coding web pages is different. I even thought maybe starting the initial design visually and then taking then coding it from there in a text editor. I appreciate all the replies - It seems like everyone is using a lot of different apps out there.

Question: Why not just use the VFP editor (modify command test.avfp )? Are there any drawbacks to that compared to the other editors you are all using?

Thanks
Sep 3, 2015 at 8:50 PM
If your going to do the entire FULL blown HTML / CSS you really can't beat Webflow.com

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2015 at 10:25 PM
In my experience, HTML visual editors tend to generate bloated html that is very hard to customize. About using VFP editor, despite the fact that there are so many better alternatives out there, the main issue is the autocompletation.

Victor
Coordinator
Sep 8, 2015 at 6:59 PM
Hello abigdreamer,

Are you really back? Are you using avfp with appeary.io ?

Victor has down some really cools things with JSON, REST, etc. Real improvements.
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2015 at 3:57 PM
I use the following tools on my web development:
  • Notepad ++ (with Emmet) for HTML;CSS;JS
  • VFP IDE for prgs
  • FileZilla for FTP
    - Beyond compare 4
Trying to evaluate/integrate commercial JS libs at the moment using: