Why iis or Apache

Topics: Developer Forum
Sep 29, 2015 at 6:14 PM
Hello - I was wondering why so many web servers for VFP including activeVFP depend on iis or Apache as opposed to being independent and being able to run "stand alone" with no dependencies.

Thanks.
Oct 7, 2015 at 7:15 AM
Anyone?
Coordinator
Oct 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM
VFP concentrates on applications whereas IIS specializes in serving up web pages fast and efficiently. Specialization is the name of the game.

Even Node.js which, by default can run as a web server, is even better and faster when run on windows with IIS (or so I read, about a year ago)
Oct 7, 2015 at 11:23 PM
A few questions come to mind that I'm hoping you can help me with:
  1. Is there an article on the best way to implement login security with an AVFP app?
  2. There are a few apps I'm looking to write with AVFP and most are going to be great. However, there's one app in particular that I'm not sure if it can be done with AVFP. I would like to write an app but I want to distribute it to my customer base so that they can run it on their server (they would host it themselves). However, I don't want them having access to the .HTM files or any source at the back end. Is this possible? It just occurred to me that maybe if I use something like molebox or boxedapp maybe I can secure the htm files. Any recommendations or ideas on how to approach this. Also, if a boxedapp would work then which is a good one to use?
Thanks,
Mike
Oct 19, 2015 at 10:59 AM
MVFP2109 wrote:
A few questions come to mind that I'm hoping you can help me with:
  1. Is there an article on the best way to implement login security with an AVFP app?
  2. There are a few apps I'm looking to write with AVFP and most are going to be great. However, there's one app in particular that I'm not sure if it can be done with AVFP. I would like to write an app but I want to distribute it to my customer base so that they can run it on their server (they would host it themselves). However, I don't want them having access to the .HTM files or any source at the back end. Is this possible? It just occurred to me that maybe if I use something like molebox or boxedapp maybe I can secure the htm files. Any recommendations or ideas on how to approach this. Also, if a boxedapp would work then which is a good one to use?
Thanks,
Mike
If you want to secure the login process you need to pay attention to the query that you run. I think that you can use the same way that you can do for prevent the Sql Injection. Maybe with a control for the value (username and password) that you receive from submit form.

If you want to distribuite an app developed in AVFP, you need to release the HTML files (.AVFP) but you can protect the most important code of your application in a single procedure file and compile it in .APP file. This file isn't readable from notepad and need to be loaded in the Main.prg file for work. I don't think that AVFP work with Molebox app and similar...